Thursday, September 3, 2009

Fighting


Monday night my boyfriend and I rented the movie "Fighting". I'd wanted to see it since it came out in the theaters, but some men told me it was a waste of their dollar at Movies 8! Secretely I still wanted to see it, although I deceided to wait until it came out on Redbox. For some reason I'm so drawn to fighting and/or dancing movies. They're dramatic; they're violent; they capture my attention. Brian is the kind of guy who thinks violence solves problems: I am not the same way. If someone says something really bad about someone he loves, he'll beat them up. I, however, will contradict the rude comment, and then I'll walk away.
When we watch movies like "Fighting" together, I can't help but wonder how they influence us. I can pick out the message and determine it to be false or not socially accepted, but can he? Can most men see how the media influences them? I guess I, along with many girls, have just the same problem. Just because you're a good fighter doesn't mean you can beat up 15 people on the street. Just because someone makes you angry doesn't mean you can almost kill them. Fighting shouldn't be a profession in my opinion. I think I like movies like these because it seems so fake and distant from the life I live. Do people really fight for 100,000 dollars? Insane. Did watching this movie make Brian and I a little more fond of fighting to solve problems? I mean, he wanted to help provide for the woman he loved.. that makes it ok, right?

4 comments:

  1. Christina-
    I like i like i like this idea (and the pictures as well)! But on a serious note, the effect of the media on the different genders is something that should be seriously taken into account. Do girls just release their hostility through relational aggression? Are boys overall more aggressive? How does the media fit into all of this, and does it effect one gender more than the other? All good thoughts, and I commend your blog for prompting them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is Channing Tatum is hot and I pretty much like every movie he is in! Ha. I really wanted to see this movie and I think I still will. I'm a big movie buff and most of the time I want to get my own opinion about them. I like hearing what others think of it, but even if I hear bad reviews, if I wanted to see it in the first place, I will end up seeing it at some point. But I am impressed with all your comments on this movie and fighting in general!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So did you like the movie?? I saw it in the dollar theater and thought it was dece. Good questions, though. I know movies with high amounts of aggression are supposed to make you more aggressive...but seeing guys kick each other's trash doesn't really make me want to fight more. Although, I wonder if when I watch Mean Girls (one of my guilty pleasures) if it makes me act more catty.

    hmmm...that explains so much. jk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.

    This is Megan Rogers. My blog address didn't get put on the list for some reason.

    ReplyDelete